Thursday 22 March 2007

surprise TV appearance!


Excitement, excitement. Just when I'd finished my first blog entry, I got an email saying that I was going to be interviewed on TV tonight! And there's me thinking I had nothing to blog about.

About a month ago we'd been told that Channel 7 was going to do a programme about Auntie Hannah's art... but that it was going to be recorded on the day I was flying in, and there was nothing I could do about it - it was going to be recorded at the very time my plane arrived, so I couldn't be part of it. Next, I got a call from my cousin Jonathan to say he couldn't meet me at the airport because he was going to be interviewed on this TV show. Jealous? Mad? Me? And finally, I get this call saying that they had to re-shoot the last 5 minutes of the show, and would I like to go tonight and be interviewed! Well - is the Pope Catholic!!!

I was emailing my friend Kate at the time so I mentioned it to her. Kate's a musician and has been on TV in Spain loads of times - and she said I needed to wear makeup so I wouldn't look pale and awful. I had this idea that they wouldn't do anything about it at the TV station (which was absolutely right) and all my makeup had got "lost" on the journey here - so I went and replenished it all - and more - at Victoria's Secret (!) this afternoon. VERY up-market! Anna made me up this evening - even SHE said I looked nice, which is praise indeed, and there's a photo at the top showing the set, with me (fully made up); Leah Zaiger from the Brandeis Centre, and Rabbi Ronne Friedman, the programme host.

It's 'only' a Jewish Community programme, and as such is 'only' on show at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, but we don't have to tell everyone that - Channel 7 is a 'real' channel, with lots of 'real' programmes, and apparently 17k people are watching even at 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning. They're showing clips of Sarah's wonderful film about auntie Hannah, and hopefully I can get a video or two of it. And - the Rabbi who interviewed us, Ronne Friedman, is the rabbi of Temple Israel, the biggest community outside NY apparently, and has invited us to his community Seder for the second night - which will be great.

Anna and I had a great Italian meal after the filming - just round the corner from our apartment in Hanover Street. We have found somewhere to buy fruit, veg, milk and cheese, finally. And - roll on tomorrow; a visit to Anna's school in the morning ready for her starting properly on Monday; seeing our cousin Jonathan doing a lecture in the afternoon; and my cousins David and Lynda visiting from New York for the weekend - we're meeting them at a gallery opening on Friday evening and hopefully will be able to persuade them to go to the Improv Drama show about 5 minutes walk from here on Saturday evening. Wish my life in Lancaster was like this!